We have been asking ourselves, what is the best way that blogs and “microblogging” sites like Twitter can be leveraged by project managers? Some say social media is too time-consuming, and a distraction from real work. Others say social media and related sites provide comic relief, a sense of community, entertainment (from the work desk!), and are the 21st century’s “cigarette break”.
While project managers may have different opinions on social media usage, one thing that everyone can agree on is the importance of these sites with the ability to influence in positive ways.
In a project setting, a good PM can use blogs and sites like Twitter in some of the following ways:
* To speak about project acknowledgements, failures, or successes in the business world
* Online journal of company, and project developments, for stakeholder feedback
* Feedback mechanism for project staffers
* To answer stakeholder concerns
* Marketing and public relations
– Publicity for brand or product
What do you think? What would you add?
Join us for Medhira’s presentation at the PMI National Conference in Mumbai, November 20, 2010. Registration and more information here: www.pmi.org.in/conference2010.
The slides presented at the amazing show are now available here: www.slideshare.net/PMInstituteIndia/anita-dhir-leading-in-the-age-of-transparency – check them out!